We just had our Film Festival! Here's an Popplet about the process our students went through:
A fourth and fifth grade teacher both approached me about working with poetry in a digital way. By this time, both of their classes had used slides and docs quite a bit. We worked on using Google Drawings as a way to add mood and feeling to their published pieces.
Google Drawings has some unique features that allows for the easy combination of interesting fonts, images, and colors. The recolor tool was really useful in that it allowed students to think about how color can impact the way people feel when they read your poem. Publishing poems this way added a unique layer that allowed students to really let their creativity shine. It was fun to watch students discover how language and visual aesthetic can come together to create something different than either on their own.
I'm excited to see and share some student examples of publishing poetry this way. Some students event talked about creating a collage with all of the final poetry images.
At the last meeting of the Oakland County EdTech leadership team we ran through a BreakoutEDU scenario. It was a ton of fun, and we really had to work together as a team to make it work.
It's a concept based on breakout rooms, which are rooms that you have to break out of by figuring out a series of puzzles. BreakoutEDU takes adds an academic twist. Players still have to work together using real problem solving skills, but there is some good academic content added in too. Puzzles that address different topics are available on the BreakoutEDU website. You can even make your own puzzle and submit it.
What was most exciting is that I got to take a kit home to use with students back in Brandon. Last night, I piloted the first activity at home with my wife Betsy. She really enjoyed it, but she agreed that working with a team would have made it even better. I can't wait to run some staff members through it next week and see it rolled into classrooms soon!
Instructional Technology Coach